Macs are by fat the easiest way to get going in rails/ruby because
it's there out of the box. A few gem commands and you're rockin' and
rollin'. Windows and Linux are easy to set up too but require a bit
more setup work.

Ubuntu is good but you have to use the stuff in the repositories by
default which is ok but not as good as issuing gem commands. Chances
are good that you'll deploy to *nix so you might as well learn to
develop on it too

Also macs are just way nicer to work on day-to-day. I see slot more
java devs using macs too these days.

--
Steven Elliott Jr