I would be surprised if many programmers bought Macs, having owned something
else presumably, just to run a language. Ruby was available on all platforms
from the off (or at least since the article in Dr Dobbs). In my experience a
lot of web developers and graphics people like Macs and Rails is a web
framework. So Ruby, via Rails, caught on with Mac users who are not shy
about telling the world about things they think are great.

Community and Evangelism tend to go hand in hand with Mac users :)