Michael Pavling wrote:
> On 13 August 2010 19:40, Marnen Laibow-Koser <li...@ruby-forum.com>
> wrote:
>> Michael Pavling wrote:
>>> [1] I'm currently working on some PHP development, which is running on
>>> IIS and MSSQL, because some middle-manager bought an expensive server,
>>> which has to be seen to "work". It's frustrating, but that's the
>>> situation. I work with it, or I don't. They *won't* install *nix and
>>> MySQL, etc.
>>> I really don't like it, but my mortgage has to be paid.
>>
>> So the client is making you support the server but won't take your
>> advice on how to configure it?
>
> Not quite... they won't let me anywhere near the server full stop...
> paranoid city.
> I just give them the code and DB scripts to manipulate the data as
> needed... ho hum.

If the server is set up properly, and if they've got a decent sysadmin,
that sounds great.  If not, then it's a recipe for disaster.

>> Very simply put, I wouldn't take a job like that for any amount of money.
>
> You've not got my mortgage! :-)

AFAIK, you have no idea what my financial obligations are.  But no job
is worth my sanity.  I also don't really like the idea of enabling
clueless behavior in clients -- I'd rather they get it through their
head that if they want a good developer, they have to provide the
necessary support to that developer.

My current job pays very well, and it also provides an excellent
environment for me and my fellow developers.  If both were not the case,
I'd be out of there in a second.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser