Wow...thanks for all of the great feedback so far.  I had a feeling
there were better options than SVN out there.  In fact, it was when I
started looking into Git that I had the idea of taking some extra time
to see if other elements of my environment would also benefit from an
upgrade (ie my Apache & Mongrel setup).  Sounds like that's the best
place to begin improving to see an immediate benefit.

Peter mentioned Selenium which made me realize that I also have Watir
in my toolbox for both testing and for navigating to pages for the
purpose of scraping.  I never tried Selenium but that might be
something worth looking into as well.

I didn't intend to start a debate of whether it was good practice to
generate office documents as an output but I have projects that have
required it in the past and I'm sure it will come up again in the
future.

Bob