Peter Macgown wrote in post #965218:
> Hi Marnen,
>
> I have three different PC's running Windows (2 XP's and 1 Vista) at
> disparate locations.

Those should be binary-compatible, then.  (Why you'd torture yourself
with Windows is another question. :) ).

Unix is moot since it is not available to me.

Of course it's available to you: you can always install a VM.

> I do
> not want to be limited to do development at a single location.
>
> My use case is to capture sensor gestalt from an Arduino board and store
> it in a database for later analysis.

I didn't mean the nature of the application you're developing; I mean
*your* use case -- the reason that *you* want to have a flash drive to
carry with you with Ruby on it.

> The nature of the idea is not a guiding parameter.  I am just trying to
> see if I can do it in Ruby.

Do *what* in Ruby?  Development off a Flash drive or Arduino data
acquisition?

> The Rails part intrigues me since it can be
> used for other languages besides Ruby.

What?  Rails is built in Ruby.  There's no question of other languages.
Or do I misunderstand.

If this is not specifically a Rails development environment you're
trying to set up, then you are likely to get better answers on the main
Ruby list.

> --Peter

Best,
--