I can't answer either of those directly, but -- you previously said:

> The only problem is, that although this works on my machine, my
> colleague (for whatever reason) refuses to install any additional gems
> on his machine (I guess this is why he wrote his own paginator in the
> first place).

What happens when you want to add a feature that requires adding
a different gem? Is he going to write his own version of that too? Or
when an existing gem needs an update?

> My question: is it possible using rails 3.0.3, to unpack ONLY the
> will_paginate gem to my vendor directory, so that it will work in the
> project without my colleague having to install it?
>
> I tried "bundle install vendor/gems", but this installs everything to
> this directory.

1) So install everything in vendor/gems and be done with it; how is
     that a problem?  Or,

2) Install everything, delete what you don't want, and commit the one
     gem you need. Done. Or,

3) Find a new, saner colleague to work with  :-)

FWIW,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder