On 25 November 2011 22:23, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 9:24 am, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think those here are *unfriendly* to those using windows, just
>> that most here have not got the experience to answer the questions,
>> and in some cases (such as myself) started with windows and then moved
>> to Linux and found that life became much easier.  It is possible
>> though that with the development of railsinstaller life on windows is
>> now ok.
>>

> By "unfriendly" I mean that every single problem users have and ask
> question about it the answer is "install VirtualBox and Linux".

Not true for 'every single problem'.  I think if you were to look at
my first post on this thread it says that most advise against using
Windows, but if you have to then use railsinstaller.  For some reason
the OP has declined to do that.

> With those answers people assume that:
>
> 1) The have the control on their environment to do these type of
> installations (lot of user don't have administrative privileges)

If they do not have control then I advise the use of railsinstaller.

> 2) Users do have Linux/bash/git/gcc/apt-get/portage/whatever previous
> experience

No such assumption is made.  Most IT professionals will jump at the
chance of learning Linux.  It is an excellent plus on the CV.  Using
Rails is an ideal excuse for doing this :)

> Problem is, most of the time these assumptions do not apply and
> increase the frustration of newcomers/newbies that want to try out
> this thing called "Rails"
>
> So for those who can't comply with these two assumptions the message
> is "you're not cool enough for this".

Rubbish, at least on my part anyway.

> Projects like RailsInstaller and RubyInstaller exist to help out
> better integration and transition from Windows to Linux environments,
> but that only will happen when users feel comfortable with the newer
> tool.

I am not sure the Railsinstaller developers would agree that it exists
to help people move to Linux, but perhaps you are right.

Colin