Hello,

CMake does have a few things going for it:

- It is a popular choice for C++ projects, including LLVM, WebKit and
others, so this would provide familiarity from developers coming from
C++
- As mentioned, it is a meta-build system which can generate project
files for Xcode, Visual Studio, Ninja and others. This is very useful
for cross-platform development
- It has a good and sizable ecosystem (full time active maintainers,
documentation, user questions on StackOverflow etc.)
- It has a large collection of modules to find packages, detect
compiler versions etc.

Downsides for CMake include:

- The built script language is primitive and not a familiar language
like Python. It is easy enough to use for writing a build project file
but for more complex logic, I've found it easier to write separate
commands in Python/Ruby which CMake then invokes.
- CMakeLists.txt files are not declarative documents that can be
easily parsed by other tools for eg. IDE integration. Having said
that, the CMake developers are aware of the benefits of more
declarative ways of specifying things and there is a general trend in
that direction.
- Adds a non-rusty dependency to rust.

Regards,
Rob.

On 10 January 2014 10:06, Gaetan <gae...@xeberon.net> wrote:
> See this page that compares scons to other build system:
> http://www.scons.org/wiki/SconsVsOtherBuildTools
>
> I still personally recommend CMake. One of the major feature is that it is
> NOT a build system, it a script factory that generates system dependant
> build file: Makefile for GNU, Visual Studio for Windows, Eclipse
> projects,...
> It actually replaces all bash scripts we usually write on large projects to
> trigger the builds.
>
> -----
> Gaetan
>

> 2014/1/10 Jan Niklas Hasse <jha...@gmail.com>
>>

>> Have you heart about waf? http://code.google.com/p/waf/
>>
>> It only depends on Python so this would not result in another dependency.
>> The python script (< 200 kB) can be included in the repository.
>>
>> I am all for using rustpkg though. And I'm strongly against cmake, because
>> I don't know its language and don't like a build system which doesn't use an
>> already existing one (like scons is using Python). Also cmake still depends
>> on make (or even worse Visual Studio / Xcode).
>>

>> 2014/1/10 Corey Richardson <co...@octayn.net>
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> The build system has grown a fair bit of complexity, and is getting
>>> hard to understand. I've been thinking about what could replace it
>>> moving forward. Most of the complexity stems from having to self-host
>>> (ie, staging) and cross compilation (which target are we compiling
>>> for, and with which host?)
>>>
>>> Our build system must:
>>>
>>> 1. Work on all the platforms we support
>>> 2. Be able to track dependencies.
>>>
>>> Our ideal build system should:
>>>
>>> 1. Require minimal build-time dependencies
>>> 2. Allow ease of staging and cross compilation
>>> 3. Be easy to extend as we grow
>>> 4. Have readable build scripts