> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Brian Anderson <bander...@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
> > On 02/11/2014 01:01 AM, Tom Lee wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey Brian,
> >>
> >> Not sure I understand the last paragraph of your email (do you or do you
> >> not want to encourage distro-specific installation? :))
> >

> > I'm still not sure. I want people to be able to install Rust easily and I
> > want those sources to be reliable.
>
> I don't think Rust should endorse third party binary builds, but
> official distribution packages aren't third party as the distribution
> is already trusted by the user.

There's some value in not being opinionated when it comes to supporting
distros. I think Rust should have 1 official distribution package
(binaries) and let distros' package maintainers take care of the rest.
Distro users will most likely prefer and tust their own package manager /
maintainer.  what is important, though, is that Rust doesn't block distros
on building their packages. This has been raised in this thread already,
though.

Cheers,
Fla.

--