Thanks for the replies, everyone. Here are my current takeaways:

* Don't create Linux distro-specific packages, let the various communities deal with it
* Don't create a networked installer

So here's what I'm thinking we do now. These are the install methods we would be promoting on the home page:

* Mac: .pkg file
* Linux: standalone, cross-distro installer
* Windows: use the installer we've already got

I'm worried that, if we keep out of the packaging business, but those packages end up being peoples' preferred way to get Rust, then the web page would be advocating the worst ways to get Rust. It seems like we'll need to put a link to 'alternate installation methods' on the homepage to link people to homebrew, macports, ubuntu, arch, etc. packages, emphasizing that they are unsupported.