Hello Stephen.

Stephen Isard wrote in
 <10969-1629143791-860...@sneakemail.com>:
 |On Mon, 16 Aug 2021, Steffen Nurpmeso steffen-at-sdaoden.eu |s-nail| wrote:
 |> Mysterious, i have not seen this once i tested with dovecot.
 |> And there should be no persistent data -- i assume you mean this
 |> happens from within the same instance, not two adjacent ones.
 |
 |Yes, correct.  Same session. Get s-nail prompt, send message, get s-nail
 |prompt, send second message.
 |
 |> What happens if you increase debug aka look at what the actual
 |> communication says (set verbose=2)?
 |
 |The uncertainty principle kicks in.  If I set verbose=2, I get (with
 |names redacted to protect the innocent)

Uh. ! Thanks, yes, take care for the GSSAPI content ..
I don't know enough of GSSAPI, but to be all safe i personally
would now kdestroy and kinit again.

Yes i am sorry, i should have been more clear.
What would be interesting would be a possible difference in
between the two tries of which only one succeeds.

 |s-nail: Credentials: host smtp.<domain>:587, user <myname>, pass ''
 |s-nail: Forking child with spawn control: 'exec handled by caller'
 |s-nail: Resolving host smtp.<domain>:587 ... done
 |s-nail: Connecting to <ip addr>:587 ... connected.
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 220 <servername> ESMTP
 |s-nail: >>> EHLO localhost
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-<servername> Hello <mylaptop> [ip addr], pleased \
 |to meet
 |you
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-PIPELINING
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-8BITMIME
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-SIZE 31457280
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-DSN
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-AUTH GSSAPI
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-STARTTLS
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250-DELIVERBY
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 250 HELP
 |s-nail: >>> AUTH GSSAPI
 |s-nail: >>> SERVER: 334
 |s-nail: GSSAPI error: gss_init_sec_context / An invalid name was
 |supplied
 |s-nail: GSSAPI error: gss_init_sec_context / Success
 |
 |But if I then unset verbose, the message gets sent (one time).

Now that is very strange, then.  Verbosity should not change
a thing, possibly except we would talk about a race condition,
where the I/O delay due to the verbose log changes some timing.

I bet that

 |s-nail: GSSAPI error: gss_init_sec_context / An invalid name was
 |supplied
 |s-nail: GSSAPI error: gss_init_sec_context / Success

one of those is from the failed attempt, the other not.
Hmm.  Well and you are sure that nothing in the URL you use
changes in between the calls?  This is the only thing that
actually comes from the MUA here.

I could give you a patch for .. whatever version you now use, one
that debug outputs those things, and you could tell whether
something has changed or not.  You had to compile it anew of
course.  Basically it would be adding

  fprintf(stderr,
    "HOST: l=%lu s<%s>\nCRED: USER: l=%lu s<%s>\n",
    urlp->url_host.l, urlp->url_host.s,
    credp->cc_user.l, credp->cc_user.s);

right at the beginning of ... ie, search for "smtp@", and place it
right in the next line, src/mx/net-gssapi.h is the file.

--steffen