On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:06:42PM -0700, Anne Schilling wrote:
> Here is a review of algebras.py (that was on Florent's list):
>
> (1) Is the method base_field really useful as is? It currently returns
>      the same as base_ring and does not even check that its output is a field.
>      For example:
>
>      sage: Algebras(ZZ).base_field()
>      Integer Ring

Yeah, probably that much useful, since that will be most of the time
provided by VectorSpaces. I just removed it, and am running the tests
to double check.

> (2) Line 100:
>
>      def from_base_ring(self, r):
>          """
>          Canonical embedding from ground field
>                                          ^^^^^
>                                          ring??

Fixed.

> (3) Line 164. What is the method _div_ for? Is it for dividing by elements
>      in the ground field?

Or by invertible elements in general. In a group algebra, this
includes the elements of the group for example.

> (4) Line 185-7. Is it important in this code that you are dealing with a
>      category of modules with *basis* as stated in the doc? If so, why is
> this not in
>      algebras_with_basis.py? In fact, a DirectSumCategory also exists in that
>      file.

Oops, just a buggy copy paste. Fixed.

Btw: see also the related discussion about direct sums.

Thanks!