Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Nicolas M. Thiery
<nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr> wrote:

<SNIP>

> What's the rationale for not using a plain bibtex file as internal
> database format?

I don't see an optional "url" field in any of the supported entry
types. The value of the "url" field is a valid URL. The publications
parser uses this value to markup a publication's title as a link.

> Do you have a script to convert bibtex to pubparse
> internal format?

Not yet. I take that as a feature request. Just so that the issue is
tracked somewhere, would you be willing to file a new issue at
http://bitbucket.org/mvngu/pubparse/?

> Would it be acceptable to have a separate page, like say:
>
>        http://www.sagemath.org/library-publications-sage-combinat.html

That sounds reasonable to me. Do you want to stick with that name or
something shorter like this?

http://www.sagemath.org/library-sage-combinat.html

> Our bibtex file will be publicly accessible via hg. Could it be pulled
> automatically whenever the sage publication page gets rebuilt?

Given a URL to the sage-combinat team's BibTeX repository, the
publications parser could be modified to pull changes from there, and
does its job of updating the publications page for sage-combinat. This
might require the help of some code that converts the BibTeX file of
sage-combinat to pubparse's database format. Even so, I imagine that
most if not all of the publication entries in the generated HTML page
won't be linked to online preprints or where one could download the
papers. One could get around that by using the BibTeX field

note = {<a-valid-URL>},

When I first started re-organizing the publications page, my parsing
skills were very bad. I didn't want to implement something that parses
a BibTeX file. Since you raised the issue of parsing BibTeX files, I
think it's time for me to rethink the problem of automatically
updating the publications page(s).

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen