> I also like that.  One further (?) idea:
>
> .maps(codomain)
>
> could be a way to access all maps with the given codomain.  (I don't
> know how one could specify the codomain however.)
>
> In particular,
>
> .maps(ZZ)
>
> would yield all integer valued statistics.

The problem I see here is that whenever a method returns the same kind
of object, it is a map somehow. To organize the code, I would rather
restrict to (the obviously not strictly defined concepts of)
combinatorial maps and combinatorial statistics. And having an
optional argument has the problem that 1. the user must know the
codomain already and cannot easily search all maps to other
combinatorial objects and 2. that it is then a method and we have the
tab completion problem as Mike explained for the situation as for
symmetric functions.

Or did you think of some other way to reach this?