Vincent and Dan thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, Vincent said:

> Dependencies should be used in trac (it is one of the field in the
> definition of the ticket and consists an a (possibly empty) sequence of
patches).

but, as Dan implied, the dependency field in trac if for when a patch
requires the other patch. This is, in general, different from not commuting
with a previous patch which is what I was really asking about.

I have rebased Jason's patch and against 5.2-rc0.I am checking the doctests
etc. When I am done I will repost the patch to trac and the queue.

Jason was quite thorough. So far I have had to make only minimal changes,
so I think that I would be able to review it.  On the other hand, it is
quite a major patch so it would be better that some one more experienced
than I looks over it.

Andrew