Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 05:23:32AM -0700, Andrew Mathas wrote:
>    I have to confess that I didn't really appreciate that I was deprecating
>    these functions from the global name space but in any case I am in favour
>    of doing so, so +1.

I have to confess in return that I missed the fact that most of those
functions were marked as deprecated in their docstrings. For all of
those your clean up need no discussion: they should be completely
deleted.

>    If everyone agrees that this is a good idea then I will add deprecation
>    warnings into sage.combinat.all. If the we vote to keep them then I'll
>    reinstate the global names in the patch. In terms of the functions in
>    doctests etc the best fix would be to change them so that use
>    Partition(n).cardinality() etc. Again, I would hunt these down and fix
>    them if people are in favour of deprecation.

Could you make a list of those that were not marked as deprecated?  I
also vote for deprecating them, but other opinions are welcome.

>    By the way, number_of_partitions is one of the few such functions that I
>    didn't deprecate in partition.py. The reason for this is that this
>    function is wrapped in a cached_function call and I didn't want to break
>    this... I suspect that if simply put a cached_method decorator on
>    Partition.cardinality() then this would have the same effect but as I
>    wasn't sure I left it well enough alone. Is this true?

There might be another reason for deprecating number_of_partitions in
the interpreter but not in the code: the implementation is really
really fast, and the cost of constructing Partitions(n) first might be
comparatively non negligible for heavy use.

Thanks for your clean up!