I remembered that I did in fact discuss doing these deprecations on
sage-combinat when I said that I wanted to implement a functional partition
tuple class last year; see
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/sage-combinat-devel/NFNRYjqoouM

Specifically, I proposed to:

3. Depreciate the following functions/classes in partition.py:
    deprecation('"partitions_set()
" is deprecated. Use the
SetPartitions(S,k) instead')
    deprecation('"number_of_partitions_set()" is deprecated. Use the
SetPartitions(S,k).cardinality() instead')
    deprecation('"number_of_partitions()" is deprecated. Use the
Partitions(n).cardinality() or Compositions(n,k).cardinality()
instead')
    deprecation('"partitions()" is deprecated. Use the iterator from
Partitions() instead')
    deprecation('"ordered_partitions()" is deprecated. Use the
Compositions() instead')
    deprecation('"number_of_ordered_partitions()" is deprecated. Use
the Compositions().cardinality() instead')
    deprecation('"partitions_greatest()" is deprecated. Use
PartitionsGreatestLE(n,k).list() instead')
    deprecation('"partitions_greatest_eq()" is deprecated. Use
PartitionsGreatestEQ(n,k).list() instead')
    deprecation('"partitions_tuples()" is deprecated. Use
Multipartitions(n,k).list() instead')
    deprecation('"number_of__partition_tulpes()" is deprecated. Use
Multipartitions(n,k).cardinality() instead')
    deprecation('"power_partition()" is deprecated. Use
Partition(pi).power(k) instead')

4. Remove all of the code in partition.py that was depreciated in
2009.

At the time no one disagreed with the proposal although, as now, people
were not exactly clamouring for it to happen either:)

Andrew