On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 09:42:11AM -0700, Travis Scrimshaw wrote:
>       I would say this is like matrices: do you want the iterator for
>    matrices to iterate by default over all elements or rows? Currently the
>    iterator goes over all rows and you can call M.list() to get a flat
>    list of entries.
>       Actually, this is a question for graded objects in general: should
>    the default iterator go over each graded component or all elements? I
>    would say there should be methods for both. My thought is the default
>    iterator being over graded components since each component might be
>    infinite, but I don't have a good/strong opinion/reason for this.

Right, though the difference is that containment for a matrix does not
have a strong mathematical meaning. On the other hand, when we speak
of a parent - that models some mathematical set like an algebra, the
notion of containment is unambiguous; it's about the set w.r.t its
elements. Furthermore, whenever we model a set in Python by some
collection, it's expected that containment and iteration are about the
same notion. In particular:

        sage: all( x in S for x in S )
        True

So I would find quite unnatural to have:

        sage: Partitions(4) in Partitions()
        True

On the other hand,

        sage: Partitions(4) in Partitions().graded_components()

or

        sage: for Pk in Partitions().graded_components()

would look natural.

So, what shall we do with this "feature" of quiver algebras?