Hi,

Regarding the discrepancy in timings between me
and Justin Walker using OS X *intel* Mathematica,
it turns out I was running Mathematica on my
laptop under OS X via Rosetta, so those times should
be ignored.  The timings I've posted under Linux are
all fine.  SO, currently SAGE and Mathematica
on OSX Intel MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz take almost
exactly the same amount of time (95 seconds) to
compute p(10^9).

On 64-bit Linux Mathematica is still faster than
SAGE, so probably there is a 64-bit only precision
trick that is relevant...

 -- William