That's interesting. I haven't done any speed comparisons. But it seems
impossible that a carefully coded fixed-precision library should not
be faster than a multi-precision library.

Did you use double-doubles when you got below 106 bits?

I *have* made the assumption here that these guys know how to code
efficiently. At some point, you are right, I should do some timings.

At any rate, for my application, performance seems fine. It seems to
be within a factor of two of what I could get with hand crafted
purpose written code to do the same job. But it is definitely more
convenient.

Bill.