On Oct 17, 2007, at 6:54 PM, David Harvey wrote:

>>> I agree with that sentiment.  On the other hand, I think
>>>
>>> sage:  c = b.change_right(b.right().expand())
>>>
>>> is a bit cumbersome.
>>>

>> I totally agree.   What is better?
>
> How about replace_right instead of change_right.

How about

eqn.expand() # does it to both sides
eqn.expand('right') # does it to the right
eqn.expand('left') # does it to the right

Basically, every function valid on a symbolic expression would be
valid on a symbolic equation, and take an extra (optional) parameter
of what side to do it to. This could probably be done automatically.
It would return a new instance.

- Robert