On 10/17/07, Ted Kosan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It also shows how I am wanting to use expand() with a SymbolicEquation
> object.  This approach seems to work fairly well except for the fact
> that SymbolicEquation's _left and _right instance variables are
> private.   If these variables were public, this would provide the
> functionality I need.  What is the reason for them being marked
> private?

There are methods left() and right() that give back the
left and right hand sides:

sage: a = 7*x - 8 == 2*x + 7
sage: a.left()
7*x - 8
sage: a.right()
2*x + 7

SymbolicEquations are immutable, i.e., if you want to do something
to change an equation you should get back a new equation object.
The _left and _right are "private"-ish, because you are *not* supposed to
change them.  For example, when you do:

   b._right = b._right.expand()

in your notes, that makes me very unhappy, since you are changing
something you shouldn't change.   Better would be

  sage: b = (an equation)
  sage: b.expand_right()

returns a new equation got from b by expanding the right hand
side.    Another maybe better possibility might be to have a very general
method:

   sage: b = an equation
   sage: b.change_right( new right hand side)
   new equation

which *returns* a new equation obtained from b by modifying
the right hand side.

This is kind of like change_ring and change_variable for polynomials
over a fixed ring (not symbolic polynomials).

 -- William