Willam wrote:

> I like all of your suggestions above.  Could you please give an example
> fake Sage session in which you illustrate use of each of the commands
> you wish Sage had?  Implementing the functionality should then be
> easy for me, Bobby, or Mike Hansen (or you).  But it would be good
> to see an example session first to make sure your proposal makes
> good sense for inclusion in Sage.

Here is a document that contains 2 example problems:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/tkosan/misc/SymbolicEquation_enhancements.pdf

I included the 1st problem just to show the kind of effect I am trying
to achieve.

The 2nd problem shows where a lcd() method in the SymbolicEquation
class would be helpful:

a.lcd()

   6

It also shows how I am wanting to use expand() with a SymbolicEquation
object.  This approach seems to work fairly well except for the fact
that SymbolicEquation's _left and _right instance variables are
private.   If these variables were public, this would provide the
functionality I need.  What is the reason for them being marked
private?

Ted