On 10/16/07, Ted Kosan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am currently adding a section on solving problems to the "SAGE
> Programming For Newbies" book and I would like to propose some
> enhancements to the SymbolicEquation class.
>
> The approach I am taking with the problem solving examples is to show
> how to use SAGE to solve a problem semi-manually and then how to solve
> it as automatically as possible (I have found that the semi-manual
> examples are often helpful for high school students who are required
> to learn traditional manual problem solving techniques).
>
> In the semi-manual example sections, I am finding that having an
> expand() method and a factor() method in the SymbolicEquation class
> would be helpful.  It appears that these methods would simply need to
> call their counterparts in the SymbolicArithmetic objects that are
> assigned to the _left and _right instance variables.
>
> Also, I think it would be helpful to allow the SymbolicArithmetic
> objects that are assigned to the _left and _right instance variables
> to be made accessible individually.  One reason for this is to allow
> them to be expanded or factored independently from each other.

I like all of your suggestions above.  Could you please give an example
fake Sage session in which you illustrate use of each of the commands
you wish Sage had?  Implementing the functionality should then be
easy for me, Bobby, or Mike Hansen (or you).  But it would be good
to see an example session first to make sure your proposal makes
good sense for inclusion in Sage.

William