William Stein wrote:
> This is related to the AMS meeting...
>
> On Dec 14, 2007 5:56 PM, Dennis Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> When do you want to get started with the DVDs and posters?  It's
>> always better to give the vendors more time.
>>

> We'll be able to start with the poster soon.  I think the DVD's will
> *have* to be
> handmade, since there is no way we can have them ready before say
> Jan 2 or 3.
>
> I want to do a shrink-wrapped package:
>      * a DVD
>      * a printout of the tutorial (about 100 pages)
>      * 5 color fliers
> and sell them for $20/each say.
>
> Can you do the shrinkwrapping at your store?  I have no idea how many
> we'll sell, so the idea would be to make 50 say, and if they sell on day 1
> to make way more for the next day.

I think it's a perfect idea to have something to give people.

Here are thoughts from trying to put myself in the shoes of a typical
graduate student walking by the booth and seeing Sage for the first
time.  I think it's probably very important to appeal to graduate
students/early faculty since (1) they are the next generation of
professors that this software targets, and (2) my experience is that the
younger generation are generally more computationally adept and so could
more easily use the software, help others to use it, and contribute back.

As a student, I probably wouldn't buy a DVD if it was $20 and probably
would forget about it later and wouldn't download Sage. I probably also
wouldn't need a printed version of the tutorial even if I did get the
DVD.  I *would* probably buy a DVD, say in a paper slipcase with the
tutorial on the DVD, if it was under $5, though.  It would be an
absolute no-brainer to buy and try if it was something like $2.

*jason jumps up on his soapbox*

One of the things we are emphasizing with Sage is that the value of the
software is not measured by the money that you pay, but in the open-ness
and free-ness of the software and the free collaboration that makes the
mathematics community and the open-source world tick.  Putting DVDs out
there for something that is way more than our costs (say like twice our
costs in producing the DVDs) tells me that the authors are trying to
make a buck, but the authors are not sure if the software is valuable to
people, so they charge what a cheap shareware program would charge to
see who'll bite.

Instead, if we only charge about what our costs are, and it's *obvious*
to people that we aren't really making money on the deal, then that
emphasizes the fact that the software is free and that we've gone out of
our way to save the person time and hassle.  It shifts the focus from
them paying money to _us_ and puts the focus on how much we are bending
over backwards to help _them_ (we've already spent years of time and
effort to give Sage to them; let's make sure they realize that in the
first few minutes they hear about Sage and not automatically think that
we're trying to just sell a cheap product).

When they ask if it's *really* $2, tell them no!, that the $2 is the
cost of the DVD!  The software itself is *free*.  However, the community
is what makes it tick, so if they can, they should contribute in other
ways, like sharing the software with others, writing code and
documentation, reporting bugs, etc.  They can also donate money (which
is only used to further the software, not to buy William a new Ferrari
or publish William's personal view of the universe :).  But we aren't
forcing them to donate money buy charging a lot for the DVD.  Yes, I
know they can download it for free, but when they see the product there
and a sign that says $20, that's what could stick in their heads.

Now, the above argument is moot if our costs are really around $20, of
course.

For comparison (though the comparison maybe isn't so valid, since these
are projects that are very widely known and have already proven their
worth through years of history and word-of-mouth):

FreeBSD: Several semi-officially recognized CD places sell FreeBSD for
around $10 (though the most "official" one sells the boxed set for
around $60).

Ubuntu: Free CDs or DVDs are mailed to you, or you can buy them for $4-$10.

I guess at this relatively early stage of the game, I feel that we ought
to emphasize the open-source nature of the project so that it is *very*
obvious.  To me, $20 feels like a cheap shareware program.  However, $2
makes me re-examine how I am measuring the value of the program and
leads me to realize that the value is not measured by the cost of a DVD
and that it really is a community-driven thing and that I should
contribute in other ways (or with more money) if I find it useful.

*jason jumps back down from the soapbox and is all ears to hear other
people's opinions :) *

I'm not sure if what I said above expresses how I feel very well, but
it'll have to do for now because I'm out of time right now.

Thanks,

-Jason