On Jan 9, 5:39 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Ted Kosan wrote:
> > Jaap wrote:
> >> Ok, I once thought java was the way to go, but now I'm a convert.
> >> I hate java.
>
> > Truth be told, I like programming in Python better than Java when this
> > is feasible.  For rich cross-platform browser-based applications,
> > however, it is difficult to beat.
>
> Java is for dinosaurs.  Flash for the win!  You can make pretty loading bars,
> *super* snazzy interfaces, and it's easy to use.  Also, it can easily play
> sound (which the javascript notebook will probably not be capable of, ever).
> Flash has much better cross-platform support; it's a true web technology.

I beg to differ. I am not sure if my sarcasm detector is broken, but
you seem to be serious.  Ever installed flash on a 64 bit linux
desktop or a PPC linux desktop? Flash sucks performance wise even more
than Java. If I use YouTube or some other flash based video player it
eats 20-30 percent of my CPU time with a postage stamp sized window
without post processing or any other filter while XVID+MP3 hardware
accelerated video via mplayer with 623x352 *and* post processing eats
0.3% CPU. We are talking about 2 orders of magnitude of CPU usage here
without taking quality into consideration. With that it could be close
to 3 orders of magnitude.

Cheers,

Michael