On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, William Stein wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008 4:16 PM, Ted Kosan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> William wrote:
>>
>>> Today at the AMS meeting Tom Boothby and I had a long talk with the
>>> people at the "Wiris Booth":
>>> http://www.wiris.com/
>>> Wiris is a closed source commercial math software company that makes a
>>> web-based interface to their own custom mathematical software.
>>
>> Was the idea of Wiris using Sage as an additional calculation engine
>> for their client discussed at all?
>
> No. Wiris is a commercial company
> and I got the very strong impression that they view Sage as basically
> potential competition whose mere existence is bad for them.  In fact,
> they're right to be worried...

Our chat with them was strange, to say the least.  One of them kept
complimenting Sage, and saying how awesome it was -- and then, as William said,
turned around and practically verbally abused us for not using OpenMath, and
then went back to complimenting us.  Another was friendly and diplomatic, and
seemed really excited to show off the product.  The third was quiet, and didn't
say much until we left; when I shook his hand, he looked William in the eye,
and said, "Wiris is going to beat Sage."

Even if they were interested in using Sage as a calculation engine, I wouldn't
lift a finger to help them; if it took any changes in our licensing, I'd
refuse.  They want to dominate the education market -- their literature said
it, their salesperson was openly aggressive towards us.  Unless they open their
code, I will not support working with them one bit.

I think that their interface looks nice (w00, rounded corners!) but that's
about all that I like about their product.  We have nothing to gain that would
be worth the means.