On Jan 8, 2008 11:51 PM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Just a quick question:  Isn't Flash a closed-source commercial product, hence
> completely unsuitable for use as a core technology in Sage?  (In contrast,
> Java is (supposed to be?) GPL'd now. )
>
>  -- William

Yes it is closed (btw, I don't think Tom was advocating the use of
Flash in Sage, just pointing out the fact that it is near-perfect for
web developement in his view).  I just want  to point out the obvious
about Javascript: it's a bona fide platform for web development that
is "installed" by default on most modern browsers. You actually have
to install Java (now that it's GPL-compatible) and you don't gain much
in the short run for web dev. If you want to get serious about web
development why not ship PHP, which was specifically written for the
web?

So it's -1 from me on Java *for web dev*. I would not discount Java
for other things: a combination of Java platform + scripting language
(like python, php, perl) could open up exciting possibilities for Sage
.

didier