On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 2:16:00 PM UTC-4 Nils Bruin wrote:

> Speaking of backups ... do we backup the sage-devel, sage-support news
> groups? It contains a lot of stuff that loses relevance with time, but
> every now and again there are discussions that contain important bits of
> information. In fact, they are sometimes referred to on trac, via
> super-opaque URLs. So I suspect google groups going down (which is probably
> a less unlikely event than github ending) would actually damage those links
> irretrievably.

I guess they are "backed up" by  other news aggregators?  Sometimes those
are the hits that come up first in Google search, ironically.
 E.g. https://www.mail-archive.com/sage-devel@googlegroups.com/msg105313.html

Which also points out that we already rely on proprietary software for
something fairly vital ... not judging that either way, but it's worth
mentioning.