Dear Matthias,

Thank you very much for your help and quick reply! I followed instruction,
actually I had to use sudo to delete jedi-0.18.1. When I run "make build",
I ran into another problem below. I attempted "brew install r" then "make
build" again, still, the same error message occur. Thanks!

[r-none] Error: r is a dummy package and
[r-none] cannot be installed using the Sage distribution.
make[4]: *** [r-SAGE_LOCAL-no-deps] Error 1
make[3]: *** [/Users/jianpingpan/sage/local/var/lib/sage/installed/r-none]
Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-build] Error 2

real    0m0.532s
user    0m0.344s
sys 0m0.161s
Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
during this run of 'make all-build'):

* package:         r-none
  last build time: Jun 3 16:47
  log file:        /Users/jianpingpan/sage/logs/pkgs/r-none.log

Thanks,
Jianping

On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 2:11:38 PM UTC-4 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

> Try removing the directory
> /Users/jianpingpan/sage/local/var/tmp/sage/build/jedi-0.18.1 manually
> using "rm -r /Users/jianpingpan/sage/local/var/tmp/sage/build/jedi-0.18.1".
> If this fails, check if there are any files that have unusual ownership or
> permissions
>

> On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 10:20:11 AM UTC-7 Jianping Pan wrote:
>
>> Dear Sage developers,
>>
>> I was trying to install sage 10.1.beta1 on my macOS 12.6.5 via Git. I
>> followed the instruction on git and ran
>> "make configure",
>> set "./configure --enable-download-from-upstream-url",
>> ran "./configure", then brew installed all the packages that it asked me
>> to install.
>> Then I run "make"
>>
>> Below is the error report and the two log files. Thanks!
>>
>> [jedi-0.18.1]   ERROR: Failed cleaning build dir for jedi
>> [jedi-0.18.1] Failed to build jedi
>> [jedi-0.18.1] ERROR: Failed to build one or more wheels
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> ********************************************************************************
>> [jedi-0.18.1] Error building a wheel for jedi-0.18.1
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> ********************************************************************************
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> [jedi-0.18.1] real 0m16.162s
>> [jedi-0.18.1] user 0m14.644s
>> [jedi-0.18.1] sys 0m5.335s
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> [jedi-0.18.1] Error installing package jedi-0.18.1
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> [jedi-0.18.1] Please email sage-devel (
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel)
>> [jedi-0.18.1] explaining the problem and including the log files
>> [jedi-0.18.1]   /Users/jianpingpan/sage/logs/pkgs/jedi-0.18.1.log
>> [jedi-0.18.1] and
>> [jedi-0.18.1]   /Users/jianpingpan/sage/config.log
>> [jedi-0.18.1] Describe your computer, operating system, etc.
>> [jedi-0.18.1] If you want to try to fix the problem yourself, *don't*
>> just cd to
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> /Users/jianpingpan/sage/local/var/tmp/sage/build/jedi-0.18.1 and type
>> 'make' or whatever is appropriate.
>> [jedi-0.18.1] Instead, the following commands setup all environment
>> variables
>> [jedi-0.18.1] correctly and load a subshell for you to debug the error:
>> [jedi-0.18.1]   (cd
>> '/Users/jianpingpan/sage/local/var/tmp/sage/build/jedi-0.18.1' &&
>> '/Users/jianpingpan/sage/sage' --buildsh)
>> [jedi-0.18.1] When you are done debugging, you can type "exit" to leave
>> the subshell.
>> [jedi-0.18.1]
>> make[4]: *** [jedi-SAGE_VENV-no-deps] Error 1
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jianping

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/cfbaf68f-15fe-4264-a564-1a089fce489dn%40googlegroups.com.
Note: r is a dummy package that the Sage distribution uses
to provide information about equivalent system packages.
It cannot be installed using the Sage distribution.
Please install it manually, for example using the system packages
recommended at the end of a run of './configure'
See below for package-specific information.

r: A free software environment for statistical computing and graphics

Description
-----------

R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and environment
which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now Lucent
Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be considered as a
different implementation of S. There are some important differences, but
much code written for S runs unaltered under R.

(taken from http://www.r-project.org/)

License
-------

-  GPL v2 or GPL v3

Upstream Contact

Type
----

optional

Dependencies
------------

Version Information
-------------------

Equivalent System Packages
--------------------------

arch:
    $ sudo pacman -S  r

conda:
    $ conda install  r r-essentials

cygwin:
    $ apt-cyg install R libtirpc-devel

Debian/Ubuntu:
    $ sudo apt-get install  r-base-dev r-cran-lattice

Fedora/Redhat/CentOS:
    $ sudo yum install  R R-devel

freebsd:
    $ sudo pkg install math/R

gentoo:
    $ sudo emerge dev-lang/R

homebrew:
    $ brew install r

macports:
# install the following packages: R

nix:
    $ nix-env --install R

opensuse:
    $ sudo zypper install R-base

void:
    $ sudo xbps-install  R

# See https://repology.org/project/r/versions

If the system package is installed, ./configure will check whether it can be
used.