Le vendredi 17 novembre 2023 à 10:14:54 UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :

On 17 November 2023 04:35:53 GMT, Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Or we just let pillow use a system libjpeg if it finds one.

This would probably be the easiest solution: I cannot imagine a system
without libjpeg...

With a dummy package we can have doctests,
with #optional tag, checking that this all works.

What is exactly a "dummy package"? Is it something that requires a system
package ?  Is it complicated to set up and maintain?
Otherwise, we could just require libjpeg as a prerequisite to build Sage
from source and add it to the list
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/source.html#prerequisites

In any case, at the moment, PIL is barely usable in the Sage 10.2.rc3
notebook, even if no jpeg image is manipulated. For instance,  the
following code considers only a png image:

from PIL import Image
plot(sin(x)).save("fig.png")
img = Image.open("fig.png")
img

and yields

ValueError: Could not save to JPEG for display

There was no such issue in previous versions of Sage (e.g. 10.1).
As a consequence, the following public notebook
https://nbviewer.org/github/sagemanifolds/SageManifolds/blob/master/Notebooks/SM_black_hole_rendering.ipynb
is broken in Sage 10.2.rc3 and there are probably many of those.

Eric.