On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 1:14:54 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On 17 November 2023 04:35:53 GMT, Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Or we just let pillow use a system libjpeg if it finds one.

With a dummy package we can have doctests,
with #optional tag, checking that this all works.

No, that's not true.

1) For dummy packages, there is no stamp file in
local/var/lib/sage/installed/, which is where our "# optional" tags have
traditionally come from. For example, pandoc is a dummy package, and you
won't see it there whether it's installed in the system or not.

2) "# optional" tags can be established by runtime Feature tests. Again,
with the example of pandoc,
see https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/spkg/sage/features/pandoc.html