I just followed a few of the links Matthias posted today, and I must admit
that I do not understand a word.

Karl pointed out that:
> I don't think it's off-topic to once again point out that this way of
phrasing it is very developer-centric.  That's not a wrong way to look at
it, but an end-user-centric way of looking at it is also valid.

It seems to me that "developer" here refers to a very different kind of
developer than me, which is probably because I mostly care about getting my
mathematics done and (probably because of that) use only linux.  I never
had any severe build problems, although recently I have had some problems
with TMPDIR.

I therefore wonder whether the outcome of the dispute might affect me, and
if so, how - other than socially, which would be probably the most
important thing anyway.  I am unable to answer the former question (i.e.,
would it affect me technically) by looking at the collection of links.

As an example: the introduction of the `# needs something` comments did
affect me, and I don't see the benefit yet, but it is only a very minor
annoyance, so I certainly won't argue, assuming that at least somebody is
convinced that it's a good thing.

Best wishes,

Martin