On Sat, 2024-01-13 at 14:54 +0530, Niranjana K M wrote:

> I thought the installation would replace the previous builds when new
> system packages are available. It is preferring old local spkg installs, if
> already present, than new versions in system. But if it is spkg only it is
> going for update.
>
> Is it needed to be fixed or is it usual?

Both.

It should have used the newer packages, but I can't say I'm surprised
that something went wrong. The reason I `git clean -x -f -d` before
every build is because I used to hit these strange issues too often.

FWIW we're about to get GAP in Gentoo:

  https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/34472

And then the only system packages that are missing are PALP and a few
databases. Everything else can be detected and used by Sage, and that
should speed up a clean build by a lot. I would still recommend the
"develop" branch to keep up with the latest changes until Sage itself
finds its way into Gentoo.