On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:26 AM, David Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I like it but perhaps I am prejudiced:-) IMHO, SAGE would be dead (or at
> least
>  a very lonely research project) if it weren't for the fact that it is
>  free and open source.

Sage would certainly not be dead even if I were the only user -- in
fact I was the only person behind Sage for a while.    Incidentally,
the *Python* community in Boston, MA was in fact very
interested in Sage from day 1; that made a big big difference
in getting Sage off the ground.

>  But also, design is an important factor.
>
>  Some ideas (I hesitate to call them suggestions since it seems fine as is):
>  1. replace "notable community" by specific growth (as in derivative) numbers.
>  2. replace "interfaces to all exisiting..." by something specific like
>  "well-designed
>  command-line interface to Python, GAP, ..." (You can't say everything
>  in 2 pages but
>  I personally love the tabbed history and completion of the IPython interface
>  and saw it wasn't mentioned.)
>  3. A specific example could be mentioned which smoothly integrates several
>  systems. As Michael B suggests, a group invariant computation in a number
>  field mixes GAP (for groups), Pari for the number field (is this correct?),
> and
>  Singular (for the polynomial ring invariant theory computations).

I will demo computation and visualization
of modular abelian varieties during my talk, and keep the above
suggestions in mind.  Computing modular abelian varieties
brings together numerous components of Sage, and is exactly
the functionality I started Sage for.  It's fairly technical,
but not impossibly so (it's just homology groups of modular
curves, which are compact Riemann surfaces, etc.)