On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:16 AM, mhampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem might not get much worse if Sage-native code starts
> providing more functionality.  Also, this is an area where the
> upstream people might be willing to chip in some effort, since it
> would be directly helping them...

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned and showing my age here, but I learned
that the user of someone else's work was the one with the
responsibility for doing full diligence and work on proper citation,
not the other way around.  But maybe in this 2.0 world the rules are
different, and things are just a free for all with no credit required
unless upstream does the leg work...

Forgive my tone, but honestly, if an outsider sees messages like the
above with a hint of "we'll give proper citation sif the original
authors help us", it should come as no surprise that upstream projects
are beginning to see inclusion in Sage as an asymmetrical relationship
(as commented earlier in this thread) , that benefits entirely one
party at the expense of the work of the other.

I know for a fact that this is emphatically NOT what William wants,
and that he is highly scrupulous of accreditation.  But I do think
that the project as a whole needs to do a better job of maintaining
healthy, *collaborative, 2-way* relationships with all of its upstream
projects.  Sage would simply not exist if it weren't for the hundreds
of thousands of lines of other code it can build upon.  That's a well
that I think would be a shame to poison.

Yes, it's more work to collaborate with someone than to simply take
the fruits of their labor.  But it's better in the long run.  And it
also happens to be the right thing to do, which some of us still care
about.

Cheers,