> Forgive my tone, but honestly, if an outsider sees messages like the
> above with a hint of "we'll give proper citation sif the original
> authors help us", it should come as no surprise that upstream projects
> are beginning to see inclusion in Sage as an asymmetrical relationship
> (as commented earlier in this thread) , that benefits entirely one
> party at the expense of the work of the other.

I think the issue at hand is given a computation in Sage, how can the
end user find out which software was used in doing that computation.
A similar situation would be if a numpy user used numpy.fftpack, how
would they figure out which backend was used so that they could
properly cite it.

> I know for a fact that this is emphatically NOT what William wants,
> and that he is highly scrupulous of accreditation.  But I do think
> that the project as a whole needs to do a better job of maintaining
> healthy, *collaborative, 2-way* relationships with all of its upstream
> projects.  Sage would simply not exist if it weren't for the hundreds
> of thousands of lines of other code it can build upon.  That's a well
> that I think would be a shame to poison.
>
> Yes, it's more work to collaborate with someone than to simply take
> the fruits of their labor.  But it's better in the long run.  And it
> also happens to be the right thing to do, which some of us still care
> about.

As someone who is "upstream", did you have any specific ideas /
examples in mind?

--Mike