On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:48 PM, John Cremona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Surely the problem is (and it will get worse not better as Sage
> improves ;))  that users just may not know which constituents
> (3rd-party packages, i.e.spkgs)  their Sage session has used.  Are we
> asking that our users take the trouble to find out (using lots of ?
> and ?? commands) the complete set of packages they have used?  I fear
> that this will not be normal practice.  I am not too upset that I may
> read a paper which says "Let E be the elliptic curve ...., whose rank
> (according to Sage [full Sage citation]) is 29." without knowing that
> the rank was actually computed by eclib.  But the authors of much
> larger components (dare I say Maxima?) might not like it.
>
> I don't see an easy solution.  Perhaps we could have a "full_citation"

I wonder if the following idea might be helpful.

Say I compute the rank of an elliptic curve using SAGE (which calls
eclib) and want to attribute the result. I save the commands which were
needed to do the computation and restart SAGE. Someone (not me)
writes a clever script which simply parses the result of "ps us",
picks out the sage jobs started (of which hopefully eclib is one of them),
and prints a string summarizing the jobs started. Does anyone know if
something like this will work?