There was a thread on this issue a few months ago, just on the
simplication of algebraic expressions, and I don't want to repeat all
that.  Briefly, people tend to think this is easy when they look at
examples which only involve square roots of positive reals, since
there is an "obvious" convention that by default we mean the positive
root.  It's a lot more complicated when you deal with general
algebraic numbers which have several ways of being embedded into CC.
Even for square roots of negative reals:  you might suggest taking the
root with positive imaginary part,  but then sqrt(-2)*sqrt(-3) equals
-sqrt(6) and not +sqrt(6).

John