On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This number theory book that I wrote uses Sage throughout:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/papers/ent/ent-stein/ent.pdf
>
> It will be published by Springer-Verlag as a UTM book sometime
> in the next 6 months.   Comments welcome before it's too late :-)

Very good book, finally I understand a little better what you like on
mathematics and what you need Sage for. :)

Will the book be available online, or do I need to save the copy now?

As a fan, who enjoyes this kind of stuff, but does not do this for
living, I especially like that you wrote those encode/decode methods
for actually turning messages to numbers. Only I found a little
confusing why you first explain this using the base 27, while the
implementation uses the base 256 (obviously), but that's minor. I was
actualy always wondering how hard would it to add to Sage the
functionality to take some gpg encrypted message and turn it into the
numbers that you talk about, so that one can play with it, and at the
end turn this into the gpg message again, so that one can verify that
it really does work as written in the docs, or coded in the gpg
program. E.g. so that one can receive a gpg encrypted message (I do
get those in Debian from time to time) and then take my private key,
import those in Sage as numbers and then decode the message by "hand".
This would make me think that I really understand how it works. :)

Ondrej