This is called flamebait, and I am guessing thats why no one has
responded yet.  But its been in the back of my mind since I first read
it yesterday, and here is what I have to say...

I just kind of started following SAGE but the most obvious response to
this sort of criticism is to point out that it could have been made of
a large number of open source projects when they were in their infancy
(Linux, X11, Gnome, Firefox, etc).  The only significant distinction
between those projects and SAGE is that (for the most part) they don't
attempt to implement algorithms that could be very different depending
on come amount of research.  And Wolfram has definitely hired people
who are researching how to produce the most efficient and cutting edge
algorithms...

But in the realm of pure mathematics, no research professors are using
Mathematica, are they? (Correct me if i'm wrong, I am an undergrad).
The only thing I see people using it for is to quickly graph
something, solve some equations, etc.  Things that SAGE is at least on
par with Mathematica for.  The only reason people are using
Mathematica for this stuff is because its what they are used to and
the universities pay for it so we don't see its astronomical cost.  On
the other hand, the actual research mathematics software is by and
large open source, often just some C code on some professor or grad
students page that doesn't even have a license attached to it.  I
think that this is going to be where SAGE does well because once more
and more grad students (professors to be) know a platform like SAGE,
they will make use of SAGE as it is much better for productivity and
ease than writing everything from scratch.

Another reason why open source and math work well together is that
when your users are mathematicians their is a very high chance they
will contribute back (to the core of the project when they want
something implemented/fixed) than say, the average Firefox user.  And
from their its just a snowball effect.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about the components of
Mathematica that applied math/physics people use, or how they compare
to what's in SAGE.  But to dominate in the realm of pure math is quite
a worthy goal, don't ya think?