On Jul 14, 7:40 am, Robert Dodier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Harald Schilly wrote:
> > >http://www.sciviews.org/benchmark/index.html
> > I have seen this benchmark, it's outdated and i think totally wrong.
>
> Aside from being out of date, what's wrong with it?

Well, in my opinion benchmarks only show you what a program did under
a certain circumstance, but you cannot automatically derive general
information - especially in that case - about that product. e.g. look
at R: they run it in WinXP using mingw. I don't know much about
compilers, but i've never heared a good thing about it when i comes to
performance (esp. at those version numbers). Those programming tests
also claim to test certain features, but there is no explanation why
and no methodology. The original benchmark referenced on top goes into
more details, but isn't used here, just excerpts. Also, they mix
effects, like they combine the creation of data and the execution of a
tested routine onto that data in one timing function. This should be
done separately. I also like to see more than one size per test to get
an impression how it scales!
So, i think this benchmark is too short and not fair. But just my
opinion ;)