I can assure you that many mathematicians use mathematica in thier
research; I used to.  But one of the many appeals of Sage is that the
source is open/checkable - I have had referrees mention that as
desirable on some of my previous mathematica-based papers.

In my opinion the gap between Sage and mathematica is narrowing at an
impressive pace.  For my research purposes Sage is already clearly
superior; of course I only use a very small fraction of either
system.  For teaching/demonstrations/computer labs Mathematica still
has the edge for most purposes, but the pros and cons are not easy to
add up in a one-dimensional way.

Actually I think it will be much harder to catch up with Matlab in the
areas where it is strong, but I still like our odds in the long run.
Most likely Sage will only win over some subset of users with
particular needs, but that would be a healthier software ecosystem.

Consider as a parting thought that Sage has only existed for 1/10 of
the time of those systems.

M. Hampton