I was interested in seeing the performance differences between MATLAB
and some open source offerings so I googled and came across this:
http://www.sciviews.org/benchmark/index.html

It seems like MATLAB did not have a huge edge in performance over R
when the test was done, but that Octave was far behind.  Note however
the test used R version 1.9.0 (currently 2.7.1), MATLAB 6.0 (currently
7.6), Octave 2.1.42 (currently 3.0.1).

Has anyone used these and know how a current comparison would fair?
Does anyone have the means to conduct a benchmark using current
versions?

Of course, for a significant number of applications, performance is
less important than say, built in features, ease of use, clarity of
code, interoperability with other software, etc.