Hi all,

Recently David Kirkby tried to compile sage on
solaris express and it blew up on pari. Turns out
the pari shared library is build without any PIC
flag and that caused his linker to just give up.
Turns out that the problem is in fact widespread
across a number of archs where the linker emits
a warning about DT_TEXTREL (usually) but still
return a shared object. I know it affects me on
linux-x86.

After inspecting the patches shipped with pari
on sage it turns out that the problem is in a
file called get_dlcflags and that someone from
sage fixed the problem on linux-ppc but left it
open for a number of platforms.

So I would like feedback from install on various
archs to see which one needs to be fixed.
Here is a summary of what I think I know:
-Working (presumably):
  *linux-ppc
  *ia64 (itanium)
  *x86_64/amd64 (possibly)
-not working:
  *linux-x86
-unsure:
  *OSX (darwin) - all flavors.
  *linux-ppc64

Example of what to look for in install.log:
gcc  -o
libpari-gmp.so.2.3.3 -shared  -O3 -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing
-fomit-frame-pointer     -Wl,-shared,-soname=libpari-gmp.so.2
mp.o mpinl.o Flx.o Qfb.o RgX.o alglin1.o alglin2.o arith1.o arith2.o base1.o
base2.o base3.o base4.o base5.o bibli1.o bibli2.o buch1.o buch2.o buch3.o
buch4.o galconj.o gen1.o gen2.o gen3.o ifactor1.o perm.o polarit1.o
polarit2.o polarit3.o rootpol.o subcyclo.o subgroup.o trans1.o trans2.o
trans3.o anal.o compat.o default.o errmsg.o es.o init.o intnum.o members.o
sumiter.o aprcl.o elldata.o elliptic.o galois.o groupid.o kummer.o mpqs.o
nffactor.o part.o stark.o subfield.o
thue.o -lc -ldl -lm -L/home/francois/Work/SAGE/local/lib -lgmp
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
warning: creating a DT_TEXTREL in object.

Thanks for your assistance.

Francois