On 20 Jul, 11:06, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> The Geogebra download page says "You are free to copy, distribute and
> transmit GeoGebra for non-commercial purposes. Please see the GeoGebra
> license for details."  The license itself on code is according to the
> license:"GeoGebra's source code is subject to the GNU General Public
> License:"  So in fact you cannot restrict its use to non-commercial
> purposes, since that would be a violation of the GPL.  Could you
> please clarify?
>
>  -- William
>
> --
> William Stein
> Associate Professor of Mathematics
> University of Washingtonhttp://wstein.org

Looking at the GeoGebra license at http://www.geogebra.org/download/license.txt
it says:

1) GeoGebra Installer, Language and Documentation Files License:
   Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0

2) GeoGebra Application and Source Code License:
   GNU General Public License

So it looks to me that some things are licensed under one license, and
some under another, I don't see anything legally wrong with them doing
that. OpenSolaris for example is licensed under at least 3 different
licenses (Common Development and Distribution License, OpenSolaris
Binary License and Public Documentation License.) None of it is
licensed the GPL.

Whether or not the dual licensing of GeoGebra makes it a practical
proposition to use the source code in Sage, and do a re-write of the
installers and documentation is another matter.

If (and I can't be bothered to check) autoconf and automake are used
to generate a makefile, which has an "install" section, then I would
argue that as long as you run autoconf and automake yourself on the
configure.ac and makefile.am, then you have not taken the installer.
The installer has been generated by you from source code. (Personally
I think configure.ac and makefile.am would be considered the source
code.) Given they often need changing for Sage, writing them from
scratch might be a good idea anyway.

If the installer is written as a shell script, which one runs then it
would not be permissible to use it.

The only significant issue to me would be whether or not it is
feasible to re-write the documentation from scratch. If the
documentation is small, it might be quite feasible. If the
documentation is large, it is probably not worth the effort.

Dave