On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 12:57 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Geogebra code is licensed GPL according to their page.  But they
>> also claim that Geogebra is free "for noncommercial use only".
>> These two statements are mutually incompatible as I mentioned
>> before.
>
> I did not see that. I would agree, they are incompatible.

It's here I think:
http://www.geogebra.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=71&Itemid=55

>> Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though I wish you could
>> "be bothered to check", since then your comments would
>> be even more valuable.
>
> I assumed you knew yourself, so did not wish to waste time downloading
> it to tell you something you already knew. With hindsight, it would
> have been better to downloaded and checked myself.
>
> However, I later did download it and can't see anything that I would
> consider "source code" at all - only java class files which are
> compiled from source. So it makes even less sense now. Unless the
> source is somewhere else, in a file I've not found, or I'm mistaken in
> some other way, there is no source code available.

I have to admit that I'm also pretty ignorant about what's really
going on with Geogebra.   I just got some offlist emails
from the project director, but the situation as he described
it seems even more dubious than I expected, so I've written
back for clarification, since I'm probably misunderstanding him.
Once I get clarification I'll post something.

 -- William