On Jul 20, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Robert Dodier wrote:

> William Stein wrote:
>>   (3) Does Maxima, Maple, Mathematica, Matlab or Axiom do anything
>> particularly cool, surprising or clever involving units?
>
> I have looked around to see what Maple and Mathematica have in
> the way of units, but from what I have seen, there is nothing very
> exciting. Which is OK --- something boring which just works right
> would be very useful.

I've used the Maple units package and it works fairly well for most
of the calculations I've done with it. It's an add-on package but is
still useful enough to handle most things I've thrown at it. The biggest
problem I've had is the appropriation of symbols for use in units when
I've wanted to use them for something else. The best example is
the use of A for amps when I wanted to use A to represent an area.

Cheers,

Tim Lahey

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo