On 22/08/2008, at 5:18 AM, William Stein wrote:

> Please ask questions, make comments, and keep this thread going!

I don't know how much of the below is possible or available in Sage.
But I miss they syntax from Mathematica.  I love the fact that it
doesn't wear down the little fingers on your right hand.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (elegant, clear, no matching of brackets)

f /@ data (good extension of good syntax)

{#, f[#]}& /@ data (so dirty, so quick, a bit hard on pinky)

data /. x_?(# < 0 &) -> 0 (this is perhaps not the killer example)

y == a x^2 + b x + c (so easy to type, so easy to parse by eye)

Probably the thing that makes all that learnable and useable in
Mathematica is how a multiple click shows you the structure of your
expression.

The virtuous solution might be to write a "Sage for Mathematica
junkies" document.

==================================
David J Philp
Postdoctoral Fellow
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
Building 62, cnr Mills Rd & Eggleston Rd
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 8260
F: +61 2 6125 0740