On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:41 PM, David Philp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 22/08/2008, at 5:18 AM, William Stein wrote:
>
>> Please ask questions, make comments, and keep this thread going!
>
> I don't know how much of the below is possible or available in Sage.
> But I miss they syntax from Mathematica.  I love the fact that it
> doesn't wear down the little fingers on your right hand.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (elegant, clear, no matching of brackets)

What does that do?

> f /@ data (good extension of good syntax)

What does that do?

> {#, f[#]}& /@ data (so dirty, so quick, a bit hard on pinky)

What does that do?

> data /. x_?(# < 0 &) -> 0 (this is perhaps not the killer example)

What does that do?

> y == a x^2 + b x + c (so easy to type, so easy to parse by eye)

Here is how to do it in Sage:

sage: implicit_multiplication(True)
sage: var('x,y,a,b,c')
(x, y, a, b, c)
sage: y == a x^2 + b x + c
y == a*x^2 + b*x + c

> Probably the thing that makes all that learnable and useable in
> Mathematica is how a multiple click shows you the structure of your
> expression.

What do you mean?  Multiple click on what?  What sort of structure?

> The virtuous solution might be to write a "Sage for Mathematica
> junkies" document.

Definitely that should happen.  Want to do it?  Make it 1 page long
for starters and put in the wiki.

But still, Sage should also be made easier to use.

I really want to know the answers to all the questions above.

William